Join the team at Alamo Hospice, whose unparalleled reputation for quality hospice care is matched only by our passion and dedication to patient-centered compassion.
Job Description Summary
The On-Call Registered Nurse provides skilled professional nursing care to patient/family/caregivers as prescribed by the physician
and in compliance with regulations by the State Board of Registered Nursing and company policies when called upon after hours.
Work closely with all members of the Interdisciplinary Team to ensure proper patient follow up on previous night after hour's calls.
Adhere to company policies and procedures and regulatory compliance requirements and directives.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
1. Provides skilled nursing patient care or service within the established plan of care.
2. Coordinates all after hour services relative to providing skilled nursing care.
3. Demonstrates exceptional service to patients, families, referral sources, co-workers and other customers. Assists team
members as needed to ensure that this level of service is consistently provided.
4. Assesses patient physical, psychological, social, and environmental status; identifies problems and appropriate interventions
and initiates the Plan of Care based on these findings. Includes the patient and family in the planning process.
5. Reports pertinent observations and reactions regarding changes in patient status; identifies problems and appropriate
interventions and updates the Plan of Care based on these findings. Communicates with the Clinical Team Lead and physician
regarding observations and recommended interventions.
6. Teaches the patient and family/caregiver self-care techniques as appropriate. Provides medication, diet and other instructions
as ordered by the physician and recognizes and utilizes opportunities for health counseling with patients and families/caregivers.
Works in concert with the interdisciplinary group.
7. Ensures that arrangements for equipment and other necessary items and services
are provided timely.
8. Assists the patient and family/caregiver and other team members in providing continuity of care, emotional, spiritual and
9. Completes all documentation in a concise, accurate and timely manner.
10. Provides written instructions to home health aides for patient care consistent with the established plan of care.
11. Attends interdisciplinary group meetings.
12. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
13. Takes part in timely and appropriate discharge planning when indicated by the patient's plan of care.
14. Actively participates in quality assessment performance improvement teams and activities as assigned.
Registered nurse with current licensure to practice professional nursing in the state. Graduate of
National League for Nursing accredited school of nursing. Prior home health or hospice experience or (1) year of recentmedical/surgical experience strongly preferred. Maintains a current CPR certification. Must be a licensed driver with an automobilethat is insured in accordance with state and/or organization requirements and is in good working order. Demonstrates excellentobservation, problem solving, verbal and written communications; nursing skills per competency checklist. Shows ability toorganize and prioritize workload independently. Works indoors in patients' homes. May be required to work in undesirable areas.Possibility of strains due to moving patients.
Continuing Education Requirements: Organization personnel are expected to participate in appropriate continuing education asmay be requested and/or required by their immediate supervisor. This position requires a minimum of 8 education hours. Inaddition, organization personnel are expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance jobrelated skills and abilities. All personnel must attend mandatory educational programs.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Environmental Conditions: May be exposed to extremes of heat and cold in all weather conditions. May be required to drive invarious weather conditions on roads in varying degrees of repair.
Working Conditions: May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases. Contact with patients under a wide variety ofcircumstances. May be exposed or occasionally exposed to patient elements. Subject to varying and unpredictable situations. Handles emergency or crisis situations. Travel required.
OSHA exposure category
: Category I Position includes tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, tissues
Required Personnel Protective
Equipment: As required by working conditions.
Addus/Alamo Hospice provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.