Position Summary: The Nurse Practitioner is responsible for the provision of skilled nursing assessment, planning and provision of patient care in order to maximize the palliation of symptoms and determining eligibility for hospice care. In addition, the Nurse Practitioner is responsible for identifying patient or family needs and providing supportive care and appropriate service in accordance with the attending physician's orders, the interdisciplinary team plan of care and the policies and procedures of the agency.
- Assume primary responsibility for determining patient eligibility for hospice care based on State, Federal guidelines.
- Obtain data on physical, psychological, social, and spiritual factors that may impact patient and family's needs and initiate intervention by other members of the interdisciplinary team
- Initiate communication with the attending physician, other interdisciplinary staff members and other agencies for the purpose of admission or recertification for hospice care and coordinating optimal care.
- Effectively utilize resources to assist in meeting the patient's needs
- Provide regular visits to reassess the patient's eligibility, needs, and update the plan of care
- Perform therapeutic, preventative, and rehabilitative nursing procedures as directed by the attending physician
- Perform initial assessment of individuals referred for care, determine their eligibility based on criteria and perform admission of the patient
- Maintain an accurate clinical record through the time of preparation of care plans and clinical and progress notes
- Maintain regular communication with all members of the interdisciplinary team, advising physician and nursing supervisor to any changes in the patient's condition or needs as well as potential problems or issues
- Provide effective teaching to family, caregivers, and interdisciplinary team members to insure continuity of care for the patient
- Supervise and document delivery of care by the Hospice Aide as required by Federal, State and company guidelines
- Attend care conferences for the purpose of coordinating care for patients in nursing or residential care facilities
- Supervise and assess the delivery of care by the licensed practical nurse
- Share in providing 24 hour/7 day a week coverage to patients and families as necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Maintains positive internal and external customer service relationships
- Maintains open lines of communication
- Plans and organizes work effectively and ensures its completion
- Meets all productivity requirements
- Demonstrates team behavior and promotes a team-oriented environment
- Actively participates in continuous quality improvement
- Represents the organization professionally at all times
Position Requirements & Competencies:
- Graduate from an accredited registered nursing program
- Licensed as a Nurse Practitioner in the state of practice
- Minimum of two years of varied work experience as a professional nurse
- Must possess current CPR Certification
- Demonstrated skill in nursing practices and clinical judgments
- Ability to make home visits and provide nursing care in the home environment
- Ability to cope with family emotional stress and tolerance of individual lifestyles
- Interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills necessary to complete job responsibilities
- Must have reliable transportation, current driver's license and appropriate automobile insurance; or ability to take public transportation
Working conditions: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, hear; use hands to finger, and handle controls. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and stoop. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Environment: Moderate noise level similar to a typical home environment and/or typical office environment with computers, printers, and work activity.
Addus provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.