Position Summary: The On Call Nurse is responsible for the provision of skilled nursing assessment, planning and provision of patient care in order to maximize the palliation of symptoms when patient care needs arise after hours. In addition, the On-Call Nurse is responsible for identifying immediate patient or family needs and providing supportive care and appropriate services in accordance with the attending physician's orders, the interdisciplinary team plan of care, and the policies and procedures of the agency.
- Assume responsibility for triage of after-hours patient and family phone calls, determining the need for services including assessments, symptom management and care plan updates, delegating nursing visits to appropriate staff members
- Obtain data on physical , psychological, social and spiritual factors that may impact patient and family's needs and initiate intervention by other members of the interdisciplinary team as appropriate
- Initiate communication with the attending physician, other interdisciplinary staff members and other agencies for the purpose of coordinating optimal care.
- Effectively utilize resources to assist in meeting the patient's needs
- Perform therapeutic, preventative and rehabilitative nursing procedures as directed by the attending physician
- Perform clinical pronouncement of death and provide support to family
- Perform initial assessment of individuals referred for care, determine eligibility under company criteria and perform admission of the patient
- Maintain an accurate clinical record through the timely preparation of care plans and clinical and progress notes
- Maintain regular communication with all members of the interdisciplinary team, alerting physician and nursing supervisor to any changes in the patient's condition or needs as well as potential problems or issues
- Provide effective teaching to family, caregivers and interdisciplinary team members to ensure continuity of care for the patient
- Develop and maintain familiarity with Federal, State, CHAP, and Company policies and procedures regarding patients benefit
- Supervise and assess the delivery of care by the licensed practical nurse
- Accept responsibility for professional growth and development through participation in continuing education programs, agency in-services and community events
- Maintains a high degree of confidentiality at all times due to access to sensitive information
- Maintains regular, predictable, consistent attendance and is flexible to meet the needs of the department
- Follows all Medicare, Medicaid, and HIPAA regulations and requirements
- Abides by all regulations, policies, procedures and standards
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Maintains positive internal and external customer service relationships
- Maintains open lines of communication
- Plans and organizes work effectively and ensures its completion
- Meets all productivity requirements
- Demonstrates team behavior and promotes a team-oriented environment
- Actively participates in continuous quality improvement
- Represents the organization professionally at all times
Position Requirements & Competencies:
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing
- Possession of a current license to practice in the State of New Mexico as a Registered Nurse
- Minimum of two years of varied work experience as a professional nurse
- Demonstrated skill in nursing practices and clinical judgments
- Ability to cope with family emotional stress and tolerance of individual lifestyles
- Must possess current CPR Certification
- Strong communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Valid driver's license and proof of insurance is required
Working conditions: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, hear; use hands to finger, and handle controls. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and stoop. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Environment: Moderate noise level similar to a typical office environment with computers, printers, and work activity.
Addus provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
I acknowledge by my signature that I have read and understand the duties and responsibilities, physical demands, and work environment of the position and all other standards expected of me. I understand this job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by me in this position. Nothing in this job description restricts the right of an authorized person to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. I also understand that nothing in this job description is meant to create a contract of employment or alter in any way the employment-at-will status of the employee in this job